14u dd’s swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
View attachment 14254

I'm not seeing that in good hitters today. Some of the old timers had a lower elbow, but the back forearm for everyone has always been mostly horizontal. Maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying here.

I agree with you 98% of all hitters we see are like the collage you created. I have seen the elbow lower in a few really good hitters. The elbow is actually in some weird positions with some really good hitters. It's the hands creating a rotational point that is important.

Apr 7, 2012
Here are a few we did with some whiffles.. today we practiced, and like I said she can generate good power.. had about a 200 ft fence and she hit two maybe 215-220

First one was probably her best.. last two rolled over some
Haha.. third one she fell into a hole in our yard.. 😆

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
She is slotting while shifting, I like the tee swing better. Meaning the back elbow is lowering without the back leg/hips turning. TM calls it the missing frames. The back leg/hip don't turn open while the back elbow lowers.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Meaning the missing frames indicate that there was a strong load of the back hip around the back leg, which screws the backside into the ground.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
And again, I like her swing. There are just always something to work on. I don't think the slotting and shifting is as bad as some I've seen. Learn to include the missing frames.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Here are a few we did with some whiffles.. today we practiced, and like I said she can generate good power.. had about a 200 ft fence and she hit two maybe 215-220

First one was probably her best.. last two rolled over some
Haha.. third one she fell into a hole in our yard.. 😆

Her first swing was in sequence.
Review. Take a look at the ‘faults and fixes’

The first swing the scap retracts in sequence. The others are not as good. As J Stone says, The timing of this move needs to be precise.’ Its a ‘pullback’ against the lower body’s advance. The body must come forward before the scap ‘loads’(retracts). It can be reactionary if you let it be. It’s not a big move, don’t over bake. It’s just part of the chain.

The load is good. The hands look good. Just a bit outta sequence.

Look when JDs scap ‘loads’ (retracts). Well after his forward move.

Doug Latta says ‘let the legs take you there’... ‘one move’... Same mechanic. Doug say to use the legs. ‘Active’ early hands can take you outta sequence if done incorrectly.

Apr 7, 2012
Thanks I see what you are saying.. we will continue to work and see if she can get the cue about “let the legs” take you there

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
You have the arms doing one thing and the body doing another thing. In this case I would try to get the hands/forearm doing one thing turning. Making a rotational point with the hands.

Right now the body is doing one thing and the hands/arms are doing another thing. There is no connection between the upperbody and the body, which means there is no TTB. Which means there is slop in the swing from trying hit with the arms/hands.

Remove the slop. Turn/tuck the front shoulder compressing and lengthening the torso. Don't have the front shoulder higher then the back shoulder in the pre swing phase.

She may need some work on coiling, how to load and you never stop in the swing.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
re.todd22