12" or 12.5" Dedicated Outfield Glove for 10u?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
If she has a glove that she already loves, and is comfortable with, why make a change? At this age, developing skills and confidence is a much more critical focus.

Apr 30, 2018
Mainly based on advice from this site. Others have said that an appropriate glove design for the position can help the athlete. She has a great glove that works well for infield so why not get her an outfield glove since she is playing mostly CF and RF right now. I don't mind spending some money for the right tool for the job.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Mainly based on advice from this site. Others have said that an appropriate glove design for the position can help the athlete. She has a great glove that works well for infield so why not get her an outfield glove since she is playing mostly CF and RF right now. I don't mind spending some money for the right tool for the job.

I get wanting to spend money on gear - believe me. I'm just having a hard time understanding the justification for a 1/4" longer glove for a 9yo. What is a 12" glove going to do for her that she isn't getting with her 11-3/4" glove?

My DD is 14. She has been playing travel ball since she was 10. In those years, the only ones of my DD's teammates I've seen carry more than one glove are 1Bs and Cs. Hell, my DD's second position on her travel team is 1B, and she doesn't want a 1B mitt because she is comfortable and confident with the 12-1/2" fielders glove she has been using all over the field for 2 years.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
It isn't about the size, it is the web design.

For a player that is still learning the fundamentals of how to catch and field, is a glove with a different web design going to make a difference in her success in catching and fielding? Additionally, at 9yo, a majority of the balls she handles in OF will be on the ground.

Just things to think about. I've certainly justified to myself more stuff than my kid probably deserves, including custom gear, and I get the fun of being able to do these things.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2014
9 years old and dad is already thinking about dedicated gloves for specific positions. Am I reading this right? Dad, a bit of advice. The web design of a glove will not matter to a 9 year old. You're overthinking this. She will either catch it or she won't, web be damned. And either outcome will produce the same result 5 minutes after the game. She will want ice cream and not care about anything else. Probably won't even remember whether they won or not.

I'm getting into the glove business.