12" or 12.5" Dedicated Outfield Glove for 10u?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 30, 2018
I posted about this earlier, but DD seemed to be wavering a bit on softball so I held off. She got over her mental block on hitting and has really fallen in love with softball again so I would like to get her a dedicated outfield glove as she mostly play CF. She is 9 and 4'5". She currently has a 11.75" Bradley Single Post which she loves and would be her infield glove when she plays 2nd on occasion. I think I have settled on the Bradley Oryx Trap which looks to be their version of the Ichiro web. They have a 12" in stock that I could have in a few days, but DD isn't excited about the colors (pic below). Her team colors are dark grey and navy blue. The other option is to order it custom. Custom is $195 vs $125 and would take 6-10 weeks but the custom gloves use Nagasaki Steerhide vs the in stock glove is Ngobo Steerhide leather. If I get her the custom I can get it in 12.5" instead of 12". DD wants to do custom of course as she wants to pick the colors. If I go custom I think I would do the 12.5", but not sure if 12.5" is too big for her age. If I stay with the 12" the decision to go with the custom doesn't make as much sense since they have this one off the shelf. So, 12" off the shelf or go custom to get the 12.5"?

IMG_3251_1024x1024@2x.JPG

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
12” for a 9 year old. Actually I think with the smaller ball she could use the 11.75” all over the field.

12” is absolutely the largest I’d go right now!

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
My DD is 10 and plays with a 12" oryx trap Bandito (the exact model in the picture- in fact, Jeff has a picture of her on his IG page somewhere) and it's plenty large enough to play outfield with the 11" ball.

Apr 30, 2018
Bradley does have an 11.75" mod trap in the colors that DD does like, but I was hoping to go a bit bigger. Thoughts on a modified trap vs the Oryx trap?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
I doubt it would matter much at this age, but I can't say for sure. Of the four Bradley gloves we have floating around between both of my kids, none are a modified trap.

You could maybe get her to back down on the color issue if you point out that if she really works the glove hard, you can get it re-laced in whatever color she likes, and it will pop against the black leather. The patch and logo are already navy.

Apr 30, 2018
I doubt it would matter much at this age, but I can't say for sure. Of the four Bradley gloves we have floating around between both of my kids, none are a modified trap.

You could maybe get her to back down on the color issue if you point out that if she really works the glove hard, you can get it re-laced in whatever color she likes, and it will pop against the black leather. The patch and logo are already navy.
Unfortunately it is the black that she doesn't really like.

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
Unfortunately it is the black that she doesn't really like.

Weeeell... that's a little harder to hide lol.

My guess is that she would be happy with either web. If she isn't making a living in the outfield, maybe you just make her happy and go with the 11.75" glove.

That or tell her to open a lemonade stand to pay the difference for the custom lol.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Give Bradley your CC, they’ll put it in a box and ship it straight to your house, your DD will love her new glove EVEN if it’s not her perfect color choice!

If you’re buying a 12” do-it-all glove get either the Mod-trap or an H-Web. I love full trap gloves but for an infield glove I want the top of the web reinforced.

But OsDad is probably right, at her age it may not matter?

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
Give Bradley your CC, they’ll put it in a box and ship it straight to your house, your DD will love her new glove EVEN if it’s not her perfect color choice!

If you’re buying a 12” do-it-all glove get either the Mod-trap or an H-Web. I love full trap gloves but for an infield glove I want the top of the web reinforced.

But OsDad is probably right, at her age it may not matter?

You're probably right, especially if she's primarily an infielder.

Apr 30, 2018
DD is primarily CF and RF. She would use her current 11.75" Bradly Single Post for infield. This glove would be a dedicated outfield glove. Sounds like the consensus is get her a 12" not the 12.5". They do have a 12" Next Level Glove for $110 that is Japanese Kip Leather. From the looks of the inventory on the website, I think the Next Level gloves are going away which would explain it being cheaper even though it is made with better materials. I'll have to check with Bradley on the size of the hand stall compared to the Next Play. Next Level is targeted towards entering Jr. High so I have a feeling the hand/finger stall pattern is bigger than the Next Play which probably won't work. I guess I could order both and return the one that doesn't work.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee