1 yr update

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
"It is basically where you are pushing outward with the feet when set up in the box. It supposed to activate the hip flexors or something like that, she picked that up from Matt Pierce. Also worked on getting a hamstring/glute load instead of quad load. "

I found this very interesting. Stood up and tried it. Think it would help with balance and staying centered. Would like to hear what others think about it.

Sep 17, 2009
Her live swing is nice. Her practice swings are suboptimal (shifting to front leg as others have said), which means her practice is suboptimal (ie, she's not really working toward a well-understood swing goal) and thus has room for improvement. If she can get to a clearer set of swing thoughts she can then more purposefully practice and that will lead her game swing to improve too.

It's hard to capture but this stop-action below takes place in a very small point in time, especially because her swing is so compact. The two-leggers will call this a leveraged two-legged hitting position. The one-leggers will say her swing has put her front foot down. They'll both be right to some extent but you'll have to decide which swing model to train because if anything's become clear there are definitely two ways of thinking about the swing, even if BOTH sides claim the SAME MLB swings as examples and both modes of training -- depending on how they are applied -- can end up with close to the same swing results, just via different routes (if we are being honest rather than campish).

hitting position.GIF

FWIW, my advice (especially given her age, travel team level and current swing) would be for you to take a good luck at Eric F's thread about his daughter. Your DD's swing is very similar to her swing before she started working with Coach MikeQ. Strong, compact, aggressive but also rushing her load and shorting her stretch. I badgered Eric F with feedback about this idea for quite a long time, even though his DD's results were pretty good. More recently, she has more purposefully trained and you can see in her live swing a slower, more controlled move-out with additional stretch created by a more pronounced pull back/scap clamp and a focus on turning the barrel deep (or releasing with depth if you prefer that swing thought to a handsy/torquey turn) -- resulting in even better in-game results with real power.

Good luck.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Here is where the magic happens when dynamic.

E6WLHLR.gif

Feb 16, 2015
South East
Her live swing is nice. Her practice swings are suboptimal (shifting to front leg as others have said), which means her practice is suboptimal (ie, she's not really working toward a well-understood swing goal) and thus has room for improvement. If she can get to a clearer set of swing thoughts she can then more purposefully practice and that will lead her game swing to improve too.

It's hard to capture but this stop-action below takes place in a very small point in time, especially because her swing is so compact. The two-leggers will call this a leveraged two-legged hitting position. The one-leggers will say her swing has put her front foot down. They'll both be right to some extent but you'll have to decide which swing model to train because if anything's become clear there are definitely two ways of thinking about the swing, even if BOTH sides claim the SAME MLB swings as examples and both modes of training -- depending on how they are applied -- can end up with close to the same swing results, just via different routes (if we are being honest rather than campish).

View attachment 16961

FWIW, my advice (especially given her age, travel team level and current swing) would be for you to take a good luck at Eric F's thread about his daughter. Your DD's swing is very similar to her swing before she started working with Coach MikeQ. Strong, compact, aggressive but also rushing her load and shorting her stretch. I badgered Eric F with feedback about this idea for quite a long time, even though his DD's results were pretty good. More recently, she has more purposefully trained and you can see in her live swing a slower, more controlled move-out with additional stretch created by a more pronounced pull back/scap clamp and a focus on turning the barrel deep (or releasing with depth if you prefer that swing thought to a handsy/torquey turn) -- resulting in even better in-game results with real power.

Good luck.

Thanks for the thoughts Rich! IMO the depth that was being talked about was one of her issues. I believe she has a hard time of thinking “deep” and still being able to get the hands out front. Which is the reason she started thinking to be more direct (the only swing I have is the school ball video since she started thinking this way. I wish the video started sooner to see the whole process but it was sent to me and that is all they caught on film). Below is another video from the same tournament where I believe she had the depth you are speaking of. With that being said she would dump or lose the barrel to often for her liking when focusing on being deep and she would struggle on inside pitches (getting jammed) due to being stuck or trapped IOW. She likes the feel of her arms and hands leading in the swing. Very much like the video where Tiger Woods basically says the same thing. I don’t know if you ever saw it or not.

Her practice is now way more inline with her game swings. She seems to have much better spatial awareness now

I know it is hard to tell from the video but she hardly gains any ground now. Which is way different from the cage swings previously posted. Which she claims is helping her to not shift then swing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TDS

Mar 11, 2010

View attachment 16961

Good luck.

RichK, the benefit of being leveraged is one will be able to turn quicker and tighter due to both legs being involved.. When you say the swing has put the foot down does that mean the rear leg or what is the source ?

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
"Dont coach a .400 hitter into a .200 hitter!"

Her swing is great, powerful and sudden. Any changes should be slowly done one at a time. Any changes should be introduced as "lets try this..... " not "you have to do this". If the ball is leaving the park on a regular basis and she is not striking out a lot then be careful not to ^^^^^^

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802